Sunday, January 13, 2008

migraine triggers

a little history on the name of my new blog:
when I left my old one, I promised that would be the title.
Mom and I were standing around and she offered me a breakfast bar with peanuts in it. I started to take it, then came to my senses and said it...things with nuts give me migraines. My hubby gave me a really hurt look, not realizing I was talking about food...this time.

This is straight from web md, word for word.
A migraine attack typically involves a headache that lasts for 4 to 72 hours. Migraine attacks can range from mild to severe and often have other symptoms like nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, or vomiting.

No one knows exactly why migraines happen, but it's thought that a series of events begins with the excitement of nerve cells in the brain. These overexcitable nerve cells then send out impulses to the blood vessels in the brain. The nerve releases substances that cause inflammation and swelling of the blood vessels resulting in pain and throbbing

My thoughts on this are...4-72 hours. I guess I don't have migraines then, mine have been known to last up to 5 days!

my common Triggers:
sodium nitrate containing foods
aspartame
MSG containing foods
peanuts, well really all nuts and seeds
onions
green beans
light
noise
lack of caffeine in large doses
carrots
pickles in large quantities
being a woman...cycle changes

Those who know me know how terrible this list is. I eat onions on everything, or at least I used to before they started ripping my head to shreds. I used to eat peanuts and other nuts by the bag daily, then I started getting the migraines again. I love pickles! Loud music rocks!! Light is nessissary to read, durnit! And, in no way can I avoid being a woman! :P

No comments: